Snowy greetings from the cancelled Day One of the NYU Cinema Studies course Curating Moving Images.
Please read the following for next week, Feb. 3.
(1) Paolo Cherchi Usai, “A Charter of Curatorial Values,” NFSA Journal 1.1 (2006): 1-10.
Also briefly look at these related items from Oz.
• John Gardiner-Garden and Paula Pyburne, Parliament of Australia, Parliamentary Library Bills Digest, March 12, 2008, 1-11. http:///www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/bd/2007-08/08bd077.pdf
• Parliament of Australia, National Film and Sound Archive Bill, 2008, A Bill for an Act to establish the National Film and Sound Archive. http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2008B00063
(2) Laura U. Marks, “The Ethical Presenter: Or How to Have Good Arguments over Dinner,” The Moving Image 4.1 (2004): 34-47.
(3) Karyn Sandlos, “Curating and Pedagogy in the Strange Time of Short Film and Video Exhibition,” The Moving Image 4.1 (2004): 17-33.
(4) Chapters 1, 2, and 10 in Film Curatorship: Archives, Museums, and the Digital Marketplace, ed. Paolo Cherchi Usai, et al. (2008).
The articles by Marks and Cherchi Usai are especially important for understanding the orientation of this course. Bring a printout of those to class on February 3.